Skip to main content

Game Vision Statement

Nature maze example

Before I write my blog, I tried to do more research about my game to help me decide what would I include in my game and what should I remove. I also look for more video tutorials about puzzles to see how could I be able to create my game in Unity and fortunately, there are some useful tips that I learned from them.

                  




These are the sketches I made to visualize my game. I decided to have a normal square shape for my maze. The wall of the maze will also be more curve like a mountain style so it complements the shape of the ball.

Game Genre

Maze Puzzle

The first genre of my game is a maze because it is a track of paths and hedges designed as a puzzle where you have to enter and find the exit. The maze that I will be making has also an adventure vibe to it as I will be designing my game as a nature theme where I surround the map with bushes, grass, and trees. There will also be hidden items/treasure around the maze making it more interesting for the players and they could enjoy the game more because they can do more things around the maze.

Gameplay

The game can be played just to pass time and it could also be a competitive game that is why before you could play the game, there will be options where you can choose to either have:

  • No time limit on your game - this means you will play the game by just navigating the ball around the maze and look for the hidden treasure. The player could still enjoy the game because there will be different views around the maze preventing them from losing interest to play the game. 
  • If the player chooses to have a time limit, it will be set to either 5-10 mins. However, I might change the setting of the time while I am making the game as it might be too long or short. I still have to try the game before deciding what would be suitable for the players to complete the maze.
After they select what type of game mode they want to play, the game will bring them to the starting area of the maze. In order for them to complete the game, they need to find the exit. There are also some coins scattered on the paths of the maze making them earn money and they could use this to purchase different types of balls. Finding the treasure in any mode they play would be a bonus because if I only set it to the time limit mode, it would not be fair for the player who couldn't find it during a short period of time.

Apart from blocked paths, the maze will also have some holes around especially near the hidden treasures to add more thinking to the player on how he//she will pass the obstacles.

Key features:
  • Rolling the ball around the maze. The colored ink of the ball will also stain the paths as it moves around.
  • Collecting coins could help you purchase new balls.
  • Hidden treasures to add more excitement to the player.
  • The maze will be designed with a nature theme to make the player enjoy the maze puzzle with good scenery.
  • If the player did not get into the exit before the time run out, they will lose. 
  • if the player falls into the hole, they will be automatically lost.

Platforms

The game that I will be making is only for PC/Laptop users only because I am only a beginner in developing games.

Resources Required

While I was doing my research, I encountered some tutorials that show how to creates assets from scratch in Unity. If I could not be able to find suitable assets in Unity Store, I will make them myself. Since the main item for my game is a sphere, I might create it in Unity as well. I will also have to look more in the Asset store as they have free and really useful assets that I can use such as trees, textures, etc.

Links to Resources

I will be looking at different useful YouTube tutorials to help me develop my game along the way. Here are some videos that I found helpful while I was doing my research:


Comments

  1. Hi Flosie, it's Aoibhe. I have just read through your game vision statement and it looks like you put a lot of research into it, Well done. I like your game idea, my game is also a puzzle maze game!! So I feel I can connect with your game idea. I love the idea that the player will be able to collect treasure as they go around your maze, have you considered making it so that when the player collects a coin that it adds time to their time limit? This could be a good idea, I am not sure how this would be done but it may add something to your game and help reward the players. I was just confused when you were talking about the holes in the maze, how will the player get around these? Will the player be able to jump over these or will they have to go back and try a different way? Well done! This was a really good game vision statement! I wish you the best of luck when completing your game. - Aoibhe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Flosie here is my TAG feedback for you

    First off I have to say wow you relay did your research on I rely like the ruff sketch work you did for this it give me an idea of what your game will look like when its done. I'm doing a maze game as well but its based on games like "I am Fish". I also like the idea of the ink trail like when you do those mazes in newspapers with a pen.
    I have to ask though why a ball, why not a person , and other then dead ends will there be any types of obstacle that get in the players way like holes or rocks or is it just a simple hedge maze.
    Also can I give you a suggestion or two, maby add a little cumpus so that the player haze a bit of an eazy time and so he knows hes not going backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Floise, I really like this game idea you have and its clear to see you have put a lot of thought into this. I think the ball leaving a stain where it rolls is a really cool feature and would be a really nice touch to the game. I would like to play this game when its completed too see how it turned out. Best of luck with this! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a future Animator 😁

If you've been reading my blog post since the day I started, you have read my first introduction. However, I haven't really talked about myself. So in this post, I will along with questions from the tasks we have given. 😁 My photo from last year First of all my name is Flosie Jane Sazon, I am currently a 2nd-year student studying Creative Digital Media at the  Technological University of Dublin located in Blanchardstown Campus. I'm 20 years old (even though I don't look my age 😂) and I have been living in Ireland since I was 13. This course wasn't actually my first choice even though I love art. My first choice was something about business and language which was way different from what I'm doing now, but I'm really happy that I'm doing what I love. Even though there were a lot of times convincing my parents but everything went well in the end.😂😂 What was the best class you took last semester? why? Even though I enjoyed Web Development and Design Proc

Game Idea Research

Maze  Inspiration Last week, I started to collect some game ideas and talk about what we like about them. However this week, we have to choose on out of all the game ideas we picked. The game that I decided to do is similar to "Roller Splat!" but in 3D instead because that is the type of game we are learning in Unity. I think that it will be helpful as I can utilize the skills that I learned from the tutorials to my project instead of studying another type of game. I will have more time to develop my game better if I stick to 3D style as well. Choosing this type of game is also a good starter, especially for people who want to make a game for the first time like me. My game will also be played in a first person point of view means that the camera of will be placed at the back following the ball inside the maze. While doing my secondary research, I find countless of game tutorials on YouTube that are related to the idea I am going for. Most of them are also made in Unity which

Exploring Game Design

Inspiration image about discovering new things We started this week's tasks by reading articles about defining what a game is to a more detail and in depth explanations.  I used to define "game" as one or multiple players who works together to complete certain tasks with a set of rules that they must follow whether they win or lose. However if I put more thoughts into it, the definition gets more profound and brings me more in depth about what a game truly is. As I read though the first article that was talking about particular definitions of what a game is depending on how much interaction they have with it. For example, the more interest they have about games the more knowledge they can share with people. There is an interpretation from the article that I like based on a book called "Rules of Play" by Katie Salen and Eric Zimmerman. They explained that games are a "system in which players engage in an artificial, defined by rules, that results in a quanti