Skip to main content

Reading 03

                                    Reflection

An image of the notes I wrote while reading the Articles.

Hi everyone! For this week's reading task, we were instructed to set up our research about the topic we chose for our Writing project. We will also have to create annotated bibliographies for the first three articles, books, or documents that we have discovered as well as writing a short summary. At first, I found it challenging to start doing my research as I do not have enough effective keywords that I could use. Therefore, I only found few books that I thought would be useful for my chosen topic. 

Before starting this project, I was confident that I had enough knowledge about the Hierarchy of challenges in gameplay. However, I was wrong as this topic is very broad and it was difficult for me to find the specific articles and documents that I needed. I decided to do everything again from the start where I look up useful keywords that would work for the topic and I also tried to watch some videos discussing the effects of challenges in games which I think really helped me to learn and collect useful words.

The first document that I have read is called "Exploring Online Game Players' Flow Experiences and Positive Affect". This document is around 9 pages long and I have only read up to the second page. I think that this document will be useful for my topic as the whole experiment is about the effects of a violent and nonviolent on online game players. They also based their research on the Four types of Flow conditions which I will be talking about more in the next paragraphs. The second document that I have read is called "Challenging games helps students learn: An empirical study on engagement, flow, and immersion in game-based learning". The article is substantially long thus have only read the first two pages. Lastly, I read a sample pdf of a chapter from the book called "A Gameplay Model for Understanding and Designing Games". Even though I could not read the whole chapter of this book, I was able to learn a few things about the adaptive difficulty in video games.


Annotated Bibliographies

Yu-Tzu, C., Sunny, S.J.L, Chao Yang, C. and Eric Zhi-Feng, L. (2011) 'Exploring Online Game Players' Flow Experiences and Positive Affect'.TOJET the Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 10 (1).

In this article, the authors Yu-Tzu Chiang, Dr. Sunny S.J. Lin, Chao-Yang Cheng, and Dr. Eric Zhi-Feng LIU conducted two studies examining online game player's flow experiences and their positive affect. They also based their studies on the four types of Flow conditions as flow, boredom, anxiety, and apathy, as it will be also determined by the level of challenges and skills. The results of the path analysis proposed that violent online games may have a significant but indirect effect on positive affect overflow experience mediation. From the introduction of the article, they stated that online game playing has expanded rapidly. 

They were also talking about the Flow theory in which referring to someone who is in the state of focus on an activity, with individuals perceiving a balance between skills and challenges. In the first study that they organized to test these hypotheses, they compared the effects of two games given by the authors, on violent and nonviolent games. They then collected the data of the participants' flow experiences. For the second part of their study, they conducted a survey from a group of college game players about their flow experiences and positive affect in a violent and nonviolent game.


Hamari, J., Shernoff, D.J., Rowe, E., Coller, B., Asbell-Clarke, J., and Edwards, T. (2016) 'Challenging Games Help Students Learn: An Empirical Study on Engagement, Flow and Immersion in Game-Based Learning'. Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 54 170-179.

In this article, the authors investigated the impact of flow focusing on challenges, skill, engagement, and immersion in studying learning game-based learning environments. They also stated that being skilled in a game did not affect learning directly instead of by increasing their engagement in the game. For the design of educational games, they found the results stating that the challenge of the game should be able to keep up with the learners improving their skills and learning continuously in game-based learning environments. As I was reading the article, I found this very useful citation about McGonigal (2011) observation:

" In a good computer or video game, you're always playing on the very edge of your skill level, always on the brink of falling off, you feel the urge to climb back on. That's because there is virtually nothing as engaging as this state of working at the very limits of your ability. (p.24)"


Kumar, A., Etheredge, J. and Boudreaux, A. (2012) 'Understanding and Implementing Adaptive Difficulty Adjustment in Video Games' In Algorithmic and Architectural Gaming Design: Implementation and Development, Anonymous: IGI Global, 82-106.

This sample pdf document of a chapter from the book introduces the different types of ideas evolving around the adaptive difficulty in video games. They also talked about that in order to make the game interesting for a wider range of players, they must provide the right amount of challenge for their skill level because if the game became too hard/too easy to accomplish will become frustrating for them. 

The authors also declared that one of the main challenges in regard to the difficulty is the subjective factor that interacts between the players and the challenges. The distinguished difficulty is not also a static property: as it changes with time when the players learn the game skills. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a future Animator 😁

If you've been reading my blog post since the day I started, you have read my first introduction. However, I haven't really talked about myself. So in this post, I will along with questions from the tasks we have given. 😁 My photo from last year First of all my name is Flosie Jane Sazon, I am currently a 2nd-year student studying Creative Digital Media at the  Technological University of Dublin located in Blanchardstown Campus. I'm 20 years old (even though I don't look my age 😂) and I have been living in Ireland since I was 13. This course wasn't actually my first choice even though I love art. My first choice was something about business and language which was way different from what I'm doing now, but I'm really happy that I'm doing what I love. Even though there were a lot of times convincing my parents but everything went well in the end.😂😂 What was the best class you took last semester? why? Even though I enjoyed Web Development and Design Proc

Game Idea Research

Maze  Inspiration Last week, I started to collect some game ideas and talk about what we like about them. However this week, we have to choose on out of all the game ideas we picked. The game that I decided to do is similar to "Roller Splat!" but in 3D instead because that is the type of game we are learning in Unity. I think that it will be helpful as I can utilize the skills that I learned from the tutorials to my project instead of studying another type of game. I will have more time to develop my game better if I stick to 3D style as well. Choosing this type of game is also a good starter, especially for people who want to make a game for the first time like me. My game will also be played in a first person point of view means that the camera of will be placed at the back following the ball inside the maze. While doing my secondary research, I find countless of game tutorials on YouTube that are related to the idea I am going for. Most of them are also made in Unity which

Exploring Game Design

Inspiration image about discovering new things We started this week's tasks by reading articles about defining what a game is to a more detail and in depth explanations.  I used to define "game" as one or multiple players who works together to complete certain tasks with a set of rules that they must follow whether they win or lose. However if I put more thoughts into it, the definition gets more profound and brings me more in depth about what a game truly is. As I read though the first article that was talking about particular definitions of what a game is depending on how much interaction they have with it. For example, the more interest they have about games the more knowledge they can share with people. There is an interpretation from the article that I like based on a book called "Rules of Play" by Katie Salen and Eric Zimmerman. They explained that games are a "system in which players engage in an artificial, defined by rules, that results in a quanti